The Best We Can

This weekend my husband, Jonathan, and I, traveled to the Northeast, Boston and then New Hampshire to do a little work, relax and reconnect a bit with some BRC alumni, and speak at a Big Book Workshop for our friends at Granite Recovery Center.  What an exciting trip! The air was cold and crisp, the city was decorated for Christmas and the hustle and bustle of visitors and shoppers made the energy electric. And the Italian food in the North End! Unforgettable… As we were preparing to leave for the trip last week, we suddenly remembered that the traffic in […]

Keeping Your Recovery Strong This Winter

The winter is a wonderful time of year and yet it’s also a time where stress, cold and flu and temptations can put your health and your recovery at risk. Here’s help: Safeguard against stress. Chronic stress can drain your immune system and increase your risk of getting sick. In fact, one study found that people who experienced a major stressful event were two times more likely to catch the common cold. Think of “chilling out” as just another recovery to-do this season. Cuddle up with a good book, soak in a warm bath, sip some warm tea, meditate, color […]

Steps to Overcome Self-Doubt 

self doubt

If you’re not careful, self-doubt can sabotage your recovery. To the rescue: These steps can help boost your confidence, tame your inner critic and make you feel good about you and your new sober life. Write yourself an uplifting note. We’ve all had someone give us a compliment or share a kind word that made us feel better. Even if no one is around, there’s one person that is always there to lift you up – that’s you. Take time to write yourself a little upbeat note. Tap into your positive side and tell yourself that you can do this! Try […]

#GivingTuesday: Create Miracles

10.9% – that is the percentage of addicted individuals in the United States who receive specialized treatment for substance abuse disorders. Only 10.9! That leaves a whopping 89.1% of addicted individuals stuck in the vicious cycle, wondering if that demoralizing and shameful quality of life is all they are destined for. With the opioid epidemic on the rise, and the number of annual deaths associated with alcohol and drug abuse skyrocketing at an alarming rate, it’s no secret that we are in dire need of a miracle in this country. We often hear the word “miracle” and think of something […]

Tips for Surviving Mental Relapse

mental relapse

During recovery, it’s pretty common to think about using again – or mentally relapsing – but it can be a slippery slope if these thoughts aren’t fleeting. If you remain in a mental relapse for too long, you may find yourself battling intense cravings, bargaining, skipping therapy sessions or meetings and/or putting yourself in risky situations. Perhaps worse, you might even begin mentally planning your relapse. Now, here’s the good news: Even if you’re in a mental relapse, you can prevent yourself from using again with some healthy coping skills. If the thought of using becomes too great – even […]

Rural Community Is Treating Opioid Problem Like Natural Disaster


The opioid epidemic is hitting rural communities across the U.S. hard – and, in fact, a  recent poll found that it’s the most urgent health problem facing rural Americans. A whopping 48 percent of poll respondents said opioid addiction has worsened over the past five years. But what’s the solution? Should the current opioid crisis be treated like a natural disaster? That’s the unique approach a rural community in Washington is taking as they fight against the increasing rates of overdoses. Members of Snohomish County in Western Washington are responding to the drug crisis the same way they did a […]

Choosing a Sponsor

choosing a sponsor

Choosing the right sponsor is critical for a successful recovery and requires careful consideration. So what makes a good sponsor? For one, the person should be active in his or her own recovery. This means the person should have worked through the 12 steps and be sober for at least one full year. Another rule of thumb is to avoid beginning a sponsor/sponsee relationship with someone who you could be attracted to. Romantic involvement is just too risky right now and will distract you from focusing on your recovery. 3 Questions to Consider When choosing a sponsor, keep in mind […]

Doing Your Best on Bad Days

bad days

Addiction recovery is filled with hope and possibility – but you’ll also experience your fair share of down days. We all do. But how do you cope without jeopardizing your hard-won sobriety? Here are a few tips to help you survive those bad bays so you come out shining and even stronger in your recovery. Write it down. Journaling is a great exercise to help you process and put into perspective any negative feelings that are causing a down mood. In fact, studies show that expressing your feelings through words can decrease the power they have over you and your […]