Men-Only Addiction Treatment in Austin, TX
Specialized drug and alcohol addiction treatment leads to more positive outcomes. It’s important to choose a program that addresses your personal needs, and gender-specific treatment that focuses on addiction from the male perspective is particularly beneficial.
At BRC Recovery, men and women are treated in two separate facilities on two separate properties, where men help men and women help women.
How Men Experience Addiction
Men and women may begin using substances for similar reasons, but they experience addiction, mental health, and recovery differently. Men are driven to use substances for a range of reasons, including:
- Body image issues.
- Dissatisfaction with work or school.
- Family history of substance abuse.
- History of trauma, such as post-traumatic stress disorder or physical, sexual and verbal abuse.
- Mental health problems, including anxiety and depression.
Men are more likely to use substances:
- From an earlier age.
- To boost performance at work or in school.
- To self-medicate for military-related post-traumatic stress disorder.
The BRC Recovery Experience
At BRC Recovery, our Primary Treatment Men’s program accommodates up to 30 men ages 18 and older. The longer a man participates in a treatment program, the better chance he has of securing lasting sobriety. Our continuum of care spans 15 months:
- 90-day Primary Treatment Program
- 90-day Transitional Living Program
- 12-month Aftercare Monitoring Program
Benefits of Men-Only Addiction Treatment
The longer a person participates in treatment, and the more specialized that treatment is, the more favorable the outcome. Highly specialized men-only addiction treatment offers numerous advantages, including:
- 12-Step immersion. BRC Recovery utilizes a 12-Step immersion approach to treatment. We take great care in our community-based environment and programming that addresses the unique issues men face in accordance with the 12-Step philosophy.
- Less time is spent discussing gender issues. Men and women both struggle with pressures related to work, family, relationships and self-esteem, but those pressures are different. In gender-specific addiction treatment, men are recovering with other men who share similar personal issues and understand what it’s like to experience addiction as a man. Focusing on the male addiction experience makes for more enriching fellowship.
- There are fewer distractions. The treatment environment is one where clients can focus solely on recovery. With both genders present, the possibility of romantic distractions arises. A romantic relationship might be a pleasant diversion from the challenges you’re going through, but it’s still a distraction. For many people, gender-specific addiction treatment means one less distraction so clients can be fully immersed in healing.
- It leads to more candid discussions. So much of recovery involves being vulnerable, which can be difficult to do if you don’t feel fully comfortable opening up in a group setting. There is safety and comfort in being surrounded by people who are similar to us. It enables men to discuss their experiences without fear of judgment or shame.
- It establishes a peer network. A healthy, supportive peer network is crucial to maintaining recovery. Gender-specific treatment facilitates bonding and relationship-building both in and out of the traditional treatment environment. BRC clients participate in a range of recreational activities in Austin, TX.
Permanent Recovery Is Possible
BRC Recovery’s community-driven atmosphere and 12-Step Immersion Program fosters accountability and effects change, even among men who have relapsed or consider themselves treatment-resistant. For more information about how our gender-specific program can help you achieve lasting sobriety, contact a BRC Recovery Admissions Specialist at 1-866-905-4550.