Addiction is a family disease. It doesn’t just affect the person struggling with substances but negatively impacts parents, siblings, and children. For this reason, it’s important that family members become involved in the treatment process. BRC Healthcare, with the appropriate consent, works with families to gather historical information, create discharge plans, and engage in therapy in our family recovery program.
BRC Healthcare offers a comprehensive family recovery program at our centers near Austin, TX. Classes at Makana Path, BRC Recovery Center, and Segue Recovery help families understand the science of addiction, the challenges their loved one faces on a daily basis, and the effects addiction has had on family dynamics. Our director of family programs and each family’s specific family services coordinator works closely with each family to promote healing and reduce stigma. Learn more about our addiction therapy programs and how they could help your family reconnect by calling 888.559.2036.
How Addiction Affects Families
Family members of people with a substance use disorder may blame themselves for their loved one’s behavior or feel distant from them. They may walk on eggshells, never knowing when the next outburst of anger will occur or if they can expect support in return.
Although many family members want to help, they often don’t know how. This can lead to problems with:
- Social behavior
- Family relationships
- Behavior problems in children
Family members may have to deal with financial and legal issues. The total impact addiction can have on a family unit can cause long-term effects and damage that takes a long time to heal.
Our Family Recovery Program near Austin, TX
All of our treatment centers near Austin help bridge gaps in family relationships that addiction may have caused. Through mindful therapy and evidence-based treatment, our family recovery program helps families reconnect, rebuild trust, and heal.
Our family recovery program includes:
- Weekly phone updates for family members – Our team members stay in contact with family members, providing regular updates on the client’s progress as well as advice and support.
- Family support sessions – Our trained professionals help families understand addiction, discuss difficult topics, and learn coping skills for dealing with their loved one’s recovery and eventual return to independent living.
- Monthly family educational meeting – Our monthly educational meetings provide further insight into the recovery process, how to maintain recovery in the long term, and how family dynamics can be improved.
With consistent therapy, clients and their families can create healthier boundaries and relationships that stand the test of time.
Goals of Our Family Recovery Program
We are dedicated to providing the support, guidance, and education needed to restore family dynamics. Our goal is for every family member to leave our treatment center feeling more connected to one another than ever before.
Our team works with the family to:
- Improve communication skills
- Discuss difficult topics
- Work through family dysfunction
- Resolve conflict
- Identify and avoid enabling behaviors
- Establish healthy boundaries
- Rebuild trust
- Learn about family dynamics and roles
Families also learn about the risks of enabling and codependent behaviors. For many people struggling with addiction, enabling and codependency led to substance use. If these issues go unaddressed, it increases the risk of relapse.
Focus on Family Healing at BRC Healthcare
At BRC Healthcare, we understand the vital role family plays in addiction recovery. Our team of experts is here to help you and your loved one on the path to sobriety. If you’re ready to get started with our family recovery program near Austin, TX, contact us online or call 888.559.2036 for more information.