Women-Only Addiction Treatment in Austin, TX
Finding an addiction treatment program that addresses your unique needs is vital for lasting recovery. When treatment is specialized based on your physical, mental and spiritual needs, positive results follow. Gender-specific treatment that takes the female experience into consideration has proven especially useful in helping women achieve lasting sobriety.
Women are less likely than men to drink alcohol and use illicit drugs and develop substance abuse problems, but when they do develop substance abuse problems, they report greater severity and more health-related consequences than men. Additionally, substance abuse problems interfere with more areas of a woman’s life than a man’s.
At BRC Recovery, our gender-specific treatment programs occur in two different facilities on two different properties. Here, men support men and women support women.
How Women Experience Addiction
Although women and men may start to drink alcohol or use drugs for similar reasons, they are dealing with starkly different circumstances and experience addiction and recovery in different ways. Women are motivated to use substances for a number of reasons, such as:
- Domestic violence and physical, sexual and verbal abuse.
- Divorce, the loss of child custody or the death of a partner or child.
- Mental health disorders, including panic attacks, anxiety, depression, eating disorders and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Stress, loneliness, low self-esteem and fatigue.
- Body image issues.
- Chronic pain, such as migraines, fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis.
Women are more likely to:
- Use substances in smaller amounts for less time before they become addicted.
- Respond to substances differently. Women may experience more cravings and be more likely to relapse after treatment.
The BRC Recovery Continuum of Care
BRC Recovery’s Primary Treatment Women’s program can accommodate up to 20 women ages 18 and older. When a woman participates in an extended care treatment program, and that treatment caters to the unique needs of a woman, she has a much stronger chance of achieving and maintaining permanent sobriety. The BRC Recovery continuum of care is spread across 15 months:
- 90-day Primary Treatment Program
- 90-day Transitional Living Program
- 12-month Aftercare Monitoring Program
Benefits of Women-Only Addiction Treatment
It’s difficult for any person struggling with substance use disorder to quit, but for women, it can be particularly challenging. Women may be afraid to seek treatment due to potential legal or social fears or a lack of child care while in treatment. Additionally, they often require support in handling responsibilities related to work, the home and child care.
Women-only addiction treatment offers several benefits, including:
- Supportive, community-based treatment. Women benefit from the community and support that stems from a strong peer network.
- More group sessions. Many women find comfort and stability in a group setting.
- Alternative therapies. Non-traditional alternative therapies provide an outlet for expression outside of the traditional treatment setting. Proven psychological treatment can make all the difference in one’s journey to lasting recovery.
Additionally, gender-specific addiction treatment as a whole has a few advantages, such as:
- 12-Step immersion. BRC Recovery’s 12-Step Immersion program combines the tenets of the 12-Step philosophy as they relate to addiction and the pressures women face.
- Less time spent discussing gender issues. Both men and women struggle with issues related to family, relationships, work and self-esteem, but those issues vary. In a women-only environment, women focus on addiction and recovery from the female perspective, which fosters a more fulfilling, productive conversation.
- Reduced distractions. When both genders are present, the possibility of romantic distractions follows. While a romantic relationship could serve as a nice distraction from the challenges of recovery, it draws attention away from what you should be focusing on: recovery.
- It fosters for honest discussions. Recovery and personal growth require you to step outside of your comfort zone and make yourself vulnerable, which isn’t easy if you don’t feel comfortable discussing such deeply personal issues in the presence of the opposite gender. In a women-only environment, there is comfort and camaraderie in being surrounded by other people who can more easily relate to one another.
- It builds a support network. Women primarily benefit from a supportive peer network, which is vital to maintaining sobriety. In gender-specific treatment, women form valuable relationships in the group therapy setting and through group activities, such as hiking, group fitness classes and excursions into Austin, TX.
Achieve Lasting Sobriety Once and for All
Our women-only addiction recovery program can help you or someone you love recover from addiction and experience permanent sobriety. With treatment that specializes in helping chronic relapsers and the treatment-resistant recover, we’re confident we can help you heal. Contact a BRC Recovery Specialist at 1-866-905-4550 for more information about our women-only program.